We may not get hit with tons of snow, like those crazy Northerners, but we Texans like to be prepared for any kind of weather. We also know the importance of tire safety and checkups in Houston, Texas. Our cars matter because they carry our most precious assets-our families. That is why checking your tread depth, rotation and alignment, and properly inflating your tires, are so important. Here are some simple tips to keeping your tires in tip-top shape, and knowing when it’s time to replace them. As always, American Wheel and Tire can help you with every aspect of your tire and wheel maintenance.
Bald may be beautiful, but not in the case of tires. Regularly check your tires tread depth to maintain the safety of your vehicle and those it carries.
- You can check the tread depth by placing a quarter upside down into the top of the tire into one of the grooves. If any space above George’s head is showing at all, it is a good time to purchase new tires.
- If you have excessive wear or uneven tread, it may be that your vehicle needs a wheel alignment, or suspension repair. Both of these things will make your tires last much longer!
- Tires with worn tread can cause you to slide and lose control in the snow, while visiting those Northern relatives for Christmas. It can also cause severe hydroplaning in rain or sleet.
Rotation and Alignment
Rotating and balancing tires on a regular basis, will cause you to maximize the life of your tire and keep you and your passengers safe.
- Unusual vibrations in the steering or chassis could mean your tires are out of alignment. Having them checked right away will help prevent uneven wear on your tires as well.
- Check your vehicle’s owner’s manual and rotate the tires at the suggested mileage interval.
- Uneven tire wear, or the if your truck or car pulls to either side, have the suspension checked and the wheels aligned.
Tire inflation/Pressure check
Over-inflated tires cause a rougher ride, and cause the center of the tread to wear away more quickly. Under-inflated tires cause a loss in fuel economy, can cause trouble with driving, can cause the tires to over-heat and blow at higher speeds, and lose tread on the outside edges. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, under-inflated tires contribute to more than 600 fatalities and 33,000 injuries annually. The U.S. Department of energy estimates they also waste more than 1 billion gallons of gas each year. So check your tires regularly!
- The most accurate time to check tire pressure is in cold weather, so take advantage of the cold and check your tires!
- Check your truck’s manual for the proper pressure for your tires. The number molded into the tires is not always for everyday use.
- Tires lose 1 pound of pressure a month in the cold seasons, and gain 1 pound a month in the warmer seasons.
- It is important to remember to check your spare, as well, so it will be in perfect working condition if ever you need it.
Tire safety and checkups in Houston, Texas, are important to the maintenance of your vehicle and the protection of your life and the lives of those you love. Make sure to check your tires regularly to maintain both performance and safety.